Start a management degree at American Public University.
By Susan Hoffman
Contributor, Online Career Tips
Imagine the following scenario: You’ve just heard about a great new job opportunity. You’re tempted to pursue it, but you’re unsure about leaving the security of the job you have now.
It’s normal to be attracted by what a different job offers, such as a big corner office or a better salary than what you currently earn. But it’s also important to give some thought to how a new job will contribute to your professional development and your career goals before changing jobs.
Changing Jobs Should Be Done Strategically
If you are going after a new job or thinking of accepting a job that just came your way, take the time to think about everything a different job will offer and how that will fit into your career strategy. Consider the following questions:
- What is the job going to offer me besides a better salary and benefits?
- What are my career goals and how will this job help me to reach them?
- What motivates me?
- How will the job stretch my current professional knowledge and abilities?
- Will the new position allow me to acquire new skills for future use?
- Will the job help me to build my leadership abilities?
- What new responsibilities will I acquire and enjoy?
- Does the job lead to personal development opportunities, such as attending conferences or training?
- What are the current and future trends going on in my industry and how will this job help me to remain competitive in the marketplace?
- What do I like and dislike about my current job?
- What do I value in my working life?
Be sure to give a lot of thought to what you want a different job to offer you. You will then be better equipped to make the important decision whether or not to change jobs and if moving to a different job would be good for you.
Ready When You Are
At American Public University, students are priority one. We are committed to providing quality education, superior student resources, and affordable tuition. In fact, while post-secondary tuition has risen sharply nationwide, the university continues to offer affordable tuition without sacrificing academic quality.